Sunday, October 17, 2010

Success

I've been reflecting lately on what it means to raise a "successful" child. What are really the goals of my homeschool. Is it to produce an academic? A philosopher? A genius? A millionare?

I think to raise a successful kid is to raise one who is a first a disciple. A person who loves Christ and lives for Christ. A person who can think and reason enough to face the challenges of our post Christian. A person who has a servant heart for those around them. A person who can support themselves and a family if called to. I pray that I can help my children to grow to be the unique individuals that God has called them to be.

So, if this is my definition of success, how does that influence how I teach and raise my children today? What it truly the most important things that they should learn at these tender early ages of 7,5 3, and almost 1?

I have been fascinated by Dr. Raymond Moore's research on early childhood development. The more I read, the more I realize that my warm, loving responses to my children at these early ages makes more of a difference for them than whether or not they can read and spell and know their grammar rules AT THIS TIME. There is a time and place for this learning.

My goal is going to be to fill my kids life with Truth, Beauty and Goodness through prayer, great books, chores, great books, nature, great books, free time to explore, great books, some math, great books, opportunites to serve others, great books and lots of love.

We'll find out in 20 years or so if I should have used more workbooks and rigid lessons in 2nd grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment